Wednesday, October 22, 2014

That Time I was Totally Unprepared

If you've been reading this blog for awhile then you already know that I struggle with sticking to a good workout routine AND eating well at the same time.
At any given point I am usually excelling at one or the other. 
If not I'm bombing at both. 
Apparently that one or the other mentality also fits for training for a race and fundraising. 


I have raised way more money then I thought I would. I set my goal really really high and I've done really well so far. 
Then there is the actual running.
Yeah....about that. 
I have been slipping in my long runs and mostly just skipping runs all together. 
At first I wanted to just switch to the 5k but I told myself I signed up to do the half, I set a goal for myself and I'm going to do it. 
I'm not trying to set any PR's or anything special I just want to finish. 
That's all.
Well finish and not die. 
That too. 
I'm actually going to have a lot of family at this race so I'm hoping that along with race day adrenaline will get me through. 
I've looked at the course and honestly have no idea what to expect. I don't know the area so all the course looks like to me is a line down some roads. 
I wish it was colored like red- this parts cool, green- this part sucks, blue- catch your breath here, orange- might as well finish now. 
That would be more helpful. 


One of the things I am excited about is that the first 3.1 miles I get to run with my neice while she runs her first 5k. So that's super exciting!! 


So any words of encouragement, suggestions, horror stories are greatly appreciated!! 

3 comments:

  1. you did good :) From a fellow runner! Be proud!
    XO Ellen from Ask Away
    www.askawayblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just did my first half a couple of weeks ago and it was a blast! I would recommend that you start out slow. Don't go fast until mile 7. I don't know if that means you need to walk a bunch or what but seriously, save energy for the finish line. I've already started training for my next half and its 4 weeks for now. Good luck with yours! (I'm no reply right now but my email is estherdavison@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel you! I don't think the race on the 2nd is going to happen for me. It's just not looking good and I need more long runs and I'm out of time. You'll be fine though, you have a great base and even if it's not a PR, you've got this!

    ReplyDelete